WORLD heavyweight boxing Anthony Joshua has declared himself fit and well despite being in self isolation as a result of his recent meeting with heir to the British throne Prince Charles who recently tested positive for coronavirus.
Yesterday, it was revealed that Prince Charles tested positive for coronavirus after he displayed mild symptoms of the virus and has since been placed in isolation for two weeks in line with government health guidelines. Clarence House, Prince Charles’ official residence, confirmed that the 71-year-old royal had been diagnosed with the ailment.
Recently, Joshua met with Prince Charles and there are fears that he may have contracted the virus too, prompting him to go into self isolation. However, Joshua said this was just a precaution, adding that remains fit and healthy.
In June, Joshua is due to defend his titles against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev but this could now be in doubt as a result of the global pandemic. On March 9, Prince Charles spent the day with the queen, prime minister Boris Johnson and stars of sport and entertainment, including Joshua at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey, which is where it is believed the boxer contracted the virus.
A spokesman for Joshua said: “AJ is at home following government guidelines but he is fit and well. He wishes everyone affected a speedy recovery and a huge thank you to all the frontline key workers.”
With the current lockdown, if Joshua’s mandatory fight against Pulev at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on June 20 does not go ahead, it will disrupt the global boxing calendar. It will certainly mean that a unification fight with fellow Briton Tyson Fury for the undisputed crown will be pushed back to 2021 at the earliest.