Spokeswoman of UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR), Ms Ravina Shamdasani, said that organisation has condemned the continuing insecurity in Cameroon, amid reports of killings by armed groups and state forces that has prompted mass internal displacements.
The development followed a worsening situation in North-West and South-West Cameroon, linked to protests by English-speaking citizens against discrimination since October 2016 that escalated into violence involving secessionists and state forces.
Shamdasani said: “we strongly condemn the human rights violations and abuses that have plagued the people in the North-West and South-West regions of Cameroon.
“We call on armed secessionists groups to refrain from the use of violence. We urge the government to respect and protect the rights of all.
“This is in addition to investigating all cases of violations reportedly involving security and defence forces and holding the perpetrators to account.
“In addition to the high-profile abduction and subsequent release of 78 students and three staff at a secondary school in Bamenda in the North-West earlier this month, we regularly receive reports of abductions, reportedly carried out by armed secessionist groups.
“They were all subsequently released, after some parents paid ransoms and the Catholic Diocese of Kumba intervened,” Shamdasani explained.
“In recent months, Cameroonian armed forces have allegedly carried out a number of extra-judicial executions in the troubled North-West and South-West.
“On Oct. 20, in the village of Rom in the north-west town of Nwa, security forces reportedly killed four villagers during a confrontation with these armed groups.
“While on Sept. 24, two men suspected of being secessionist fighters were reportedly killed on the spot.”